Saturday, December 12, 2009

Yet another plycraft chair project.

December 01, 2009


So after successfully winning a plycraft mr. chair on ebay last month it has finally arrived out here in California. Funny part of the story is that the chair has really almost gone full circle. Originally sold in Sacramento it has now come home to roost so to speak at some expense and effort to me. I was the single bind on the chair and most likely I overpaid but I wanted one of these from the first time I saw them. If you take a look at my other blog you can see I am somewhat an old hand at restoring furniture. When I saw this chair design the first time my first thought was DARTH VADER CHAIR! It really is sleek and very male and that I loved. It just says lazy Sunday, beer, football to me. I had to buy one and now I have one. The wife is steam about it but heck a man can never have too many lounge chairs as a woman can never have too many shoes I guess. Plus by the time I get through with these chairs they are fully restored and ready for another 30 years plus.

So the story goes on this one, it was purchased in Sacramento California sometime in what I was told was the 50’s but I think the 60’s or possibly the 70’s is more accurate. It had been reupholstered before I got my hands on it and the core side mounts had been improperly repaired. Overall the chair was in rougher shape than I had hoped, but the nice thing about these chairs is they are somewhat easy to repair if you know what you are doing. I have restored two Eames Plycraft Lounge Chairs, (see alternate blog) and am building a custom drift boat (see alternate blog). So I was a little bummed when I saw the overall state of this chair. I picked it up from grayhound. I will say the seller did a bang up job rapping it up, grayhound did a bangup job beating the shit out of it. Overall the condition upon receipt of this chair is C+. There is a lot of restoration work ahead but I don’t fear the work and know exactly what work is ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment